Really. You should try it. http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en
- Can split lines (Google Maps can’t).
- Can move features to different layers (Google Maps can’t).
- Can have advanced attributes, line styles.
- Can see distances plotted with features.
- Can turn layers on and off.
- Can import data ()GPX, KML).
- Can limit who can see and who can edit.
- Uses OpenStreetMap, so if you know your GPS is right and the basemap is wrong, you can change the basemap.
- No satellite imagery basemap.
- Can’t switch layer display order (but can duplicate layers, might be possible to change order that way).
I haven’t played with everything, but I’ve built a map for a race I’m directing and I’m sharing this with the participants.