If you’ve read any of my posts lately, you’ve probably noticed how I attack certain problems. It’s turned out well more than once, though. Using this blog to document how things are supposed to work definitely helps me remember in the long run.
Just found out how to convert MrSID files (from NZ geology) to other formats using GDAL.
- Followed instructions here: http://www.photo-mark.com/notes/2008/nov/12/converting-mrsid-gis-files/
- Needed most recent version of GDAL with frameworks (1.8 Complete): http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks
- Had to change command to “/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/Current/Programs/gdal_translate -of PNG /Users/Matt/Desktop/whangarei/inputmap.sid /Users/Matt/Desktop/whangarei/outputmap.png”
- That makes an image file, but I think I’ll convert to geotiff for GIS:
- /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/Current/Programs/gdal_translate /Users/Matt/Desktop/whangarei/inputmap.sid /Users/Matt/Desktop/whangarei/outputmap.tif
- Map source: http://www.gns.cri.nz/Home/Our-Science/Energy-Resources/Geological-Mapping/Geological-Maps/1-250-000-QMAP/Map-downloads
- Map coordinate system: New Zealand Map Grid (Geodetic Datum 1949)
- gdal_translate man: http://www.gdal.org/gdal_translate.html